June 7, 2008

School's out, School's out...umm...YEAH?

Summertime is officialy here for the boys according to the Citrus County school calendar? UGGG. I mean Yippy, Horray, Yeah...Lord help. O.k. pardon the sarcasim, but, gone are the days when a simple, ordinary, plain, boring to adults, cardboard box would easily entertain my children. Oh I miss those times. They have moved on to the more advanced "boxes" now, which have all the frills, chills, and whatever my teenage boys are looking for . The graphics on some of the video games they play are extremly realistic, too much at times in my opinion. They would literally sit there in front of this "box" for hours, no days, if there dad and I let them. Whatever happen to having to use your imagination to entertain and occupy ones self. Now it comes in convenient "boxes" sold by the hundreds, at Walmarts around the world for various amounts of money and it will do the imagining and entertaining (if you can call it that) for anyone who brings it home...How can you compete with that? whinning? We used to, when we homeschooled, we would do school during the summer as well. Only during that time we would do something called unit studies. Pick a topic...Pop-up campers. Then we would find spelling words, vocabulary, history, etc...that related to the topic. It was SOOO much fun. We really had fun. Not to sure if that would fly this summer. One of my custormers was telling me that when she lived in India, they went to school ALL YEAR, Yes, even during the summer. YIPPY....Get the Uhaul ready. WOW. I think they still do that today as well. They go for a certain amount of time, and then they would get a few days...not weeks off. They even went on Saturdays.
Regardless of what is ahead, I do have hope that all the previous hours the boys have sat in front of the "box" hasn't completely turned them into couch potatoes...because, in celebration of the last day of school, Sean was telling us about an experiment that involved Mentos candy and a 2 liter bottle of Coke. Apparently, when you put the mentos in the Coke bottle, something AMAZING is SUPPOSE to happen. Are attempt was... It was a flop..no go...etc...However, what seemed like a failure was a success after all. We bonded,had fun actually together, and looked forward to conquering this scientific mystery some day together. Be afraid little mentos...we will meet again, ready to conquer and watch you explode or whatever your suppose to do...AHAH!!!!!
Finally...Dan and I are going to look at a Pop-Up camper tommorrow. We looked at one that we thought for sure was going to be "IT",but when we go there, "IT" needed ALOT OF HELP to be camping ready. But, we both determined,it's o.k. we will just keep looking. The next day a friend told us about a coworker's relative that had one for sale. So, we are going tommorrow to look at it...we'll see.

6 comments:

Dan said...

Hey!
You know how they say TV ads 10 pounds to you. Well, I am pretty sure that blog pics add 30!
Somebody stop me from eating!!!

Canary Joy said...

More of you to LOOOOOVEEEEE baby!

Christopher Cohen said...

The trick is DIET coke......

Something in the diet makes the reaction with the mentos.

We did this with my dad on my birthday and got it to go about 15 feet in the air.

The trick is to get not one but about 8 to 10 in the bottle in 1/8 of a second.

Maybe one day after church....I'll bring the mentos.....

JoyfullyHis said...

Doesn't sound like the library program would help you any. ;) I hate the video games too. Books are SO much better. :) And quieter. Sorry to hear about the camper. Ugh! I guess when you DO get 'the one' you'll Reeeeeeally appreciate it!
And I'm very curious to hear about the coke/mentos thing...hm....the people want to know!
And on other topics,
I know that there is a dye you can put in the pool that changes to a bright purple or something if anyone pees. I've never heard of the glasses. Hahahaha! I think if you watched, you'd be able to tell if someone peed. Anyone who's potty trained a kid can tell when/if someone is doing something. Right? :)

JoyfullyHis said...

*Correction*: I know I've Heard of the dye. I've never actually seen it myself. This could also be Pool Urban Legend, like the alleged glasses. Hm...

MrsEvenSo... said...

Dan, Somebody stop me from eating!!!

uhhhh.... as if THAT were possible! :P

The mentos thing sounds like fun, count me in!

So...I'm waiting for the pic of the pop up camper... I want to see every angle and every detail. Got it?